Do you know the signs of hearing and speech disorders? The earlier you can detect the signs, the more favorable the opportunity for prevention and reversal, offering protection against lasting damage.
Signs of hearing or speech disorders in your child
The early stages of communication disorders are easier to recognize when you know them. These are some of the signs that your child may have a speech and language disorder or hearing loss:
- Delays in speech and language development
- Does not follow or understand what you’re saying
- Does not respond when her/his name is called
- Struggles to say sounds and words
- Displays unhappiness in school and difficulty with learning
- Experiences ear discomfort after exposure to loud noise
Most hearing loss issues can be remedied with modern technology. Detecting hearing loss and speech difficulties early, and seeking corrective treatment, offers the best chance for successful recovery and development.
If you’ve become aware that your child exhibits any of these warning signs, contact the audiologist at Blount Hearing and Speech for a consultation and evaluation to answer or ease your concerns.
Signs in Adults
Adults are affected by hearing and speech impairment as well as children. While hearing loss of some degree affects two children out of one hundred under the age of eighteen, according to the NIDCD, nearly one in five adults has hearing loss, and only one in five of those people will seek help for their impairment. Speech and language disorders and hearing loss in adults are indicated by these symptoms which can occur quickly or slowly over time:
- Struggling to say sounds or words
- Failure to respond to spoken words
- Speaking in short or fragmented phrases
- Avoiding conversation
- Constant frustration with hearing speech and other sounds
- Speaking with a mumbling quality
If your loved one struggles with hearing or speech disorders, it’s vital to seek treatment. Contact the audiologist at Blount Hearing and Speech, and allow the latest custom-fitted technology and therapy to improve your level of satisfaction and quality of life. Early detection provides the greatest benefit, so setup an appointment for a comprehensive hearing evaluation and personalized treatment. The professionals at Blount Hearing and Speech will work to find a solution to letting clarity of sound back into your life. Call 865-982-8557 today for your appointment.